Running Start and International Baccalaureate
How to Decide Between Running Start and IB
Running Start offers direct transfer college credit to In-State colleges and universities, it requires students to be off-campus and be self-advocates all while still being required to take exams and other activities at Chief Sealth.
International Baccalaureate (IB) courses are accepted for direct college credit all over the U.S. and around the world, colleges have published credit equivalency for passing IB scores. For more information contact the college you are interested in attending for input on the courses they would prefer to see on your transcript.
About Running Start
Running Start is a tuition-free program that allows 11th and 12th grade students the opportunity to earn high school and college credit at the same time. Please email Ms. Rillo, the Running Start Counselor, at firstname.lastname@example.org for a detailed overview of the program.
Running Start Counselor
Ms. Krista Rillo
Step 1: Placement
- Students must demonstrate they are prepared for college level work by taking the English and/or Math Placement test. These tests will be taken online through the college until further notice. The English test is free and the Math test costs $20. Please see the following link for placement information at South Seattle College and alternative placement options.
- If you’re on free and reduced lunch, please email Ms. Rillo a copy of your free and reduced lunch status/approval and she will get you a waiver for testing.
Step 2: Appointment with your School Counselor
- After you know you’ve placed, email Ms. Rillo to set up an appointment to review your results and sign off on classes. All paperwork must be signed by your parent/guardian.
- You must meet with Ms. Rillo in the Spring in order to be eligible for Running Start the following Fall Quarter!
Step 3 – Register at the College
- Find the Running Start Information Page and Application details
- Email Lynn.Christiansen@seattlecolleges.edu or Sinath.Touch@seattlecollges.edu to schedule a registration appointment at South Seattle College.
- Registration for Fall Quarter 2020 begins on May 18th
Step 4 – Adjust your Chief Sealth Schedule
- You must email a copy of your college classes to Ms. Rillo and include what, if any, specific classes you want to take at Chief Sealth. We can then drop your remaining Sealth classes.
About International Baccalaureate
As part of an International Baccalaureate (IB) Program, students are: encouraged to think independently and drive their own learning; take part in programs of education that can lead them to some of the highest ranking universities around the world; become more culturally aware, through the development of a second language; and be able to engage with people in an increasingly globalized, rapidly changing world.
Ms. Allison Hays
IB at Chief Sealth International High School
Chief Sealth offers both the Full IB Diploma and the Career Diploma. Students can also opt to take as few or as many IB classes as they would like. Students who earn the IB Diploma may receive college credits or advanced placement for their high school work. Students who are most interested in one or several of the individual IB content areas may receive college credits or advanced placement in college courses for successfully completing the IB exams for that course. Check with the colleges you are interested in to find out about credit. For more info on the IB Program at Sealth visit out IB Information Page.